Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Nom Nom Nom



Hi, my name is Jen and I used to be addicted to caffeine.

I started working in a coffee shop at the ripe young age of 15. When you're a teenager and forced to be to work at 5 a.m. when you've likely only gotten home a few hours earlier, caffeine becomes your best friend. The moment I walked into work I would pour a cup of (free) coffee and end up sucking down many, many more by the time my shift ended.

This addiction ran strong until a couple months ago. At that point I was sucking down a 16 oz Sugar Free RedBull every morning on my way to work, then drinking Diet Coke with lunch and often dinner. It tasted of deliciousness.

I was also sleeping very, very poorly. Despite my love of sleep, I've never been a great sleeper - I awaken several times, toss and turn throughout the night in search of the cool side of the pillow, and stick my foot in and out from under the covers in an attempt to regulate temperature. The caffeine throughout the day definitely only exacerbated this rough sleep issue.

So a few months ago I decided to cut down and out. I won't lie - I still drink it at least once a week, but I'm doing my best to stop having any caffeine after 4 p.m. and I no longer drink RedBull on my way to work. Typically it's a soda with lunch, but now that I'm brown bagging instead of buying, I rarely bring a soda with me and have switched to water.

Now I'm drinking vats of water - so much water that I feel like I'm jumping up to the bathroom once an hour. In fact, I just stopped writing to go right now (TMI?).

I've noticed slow progress on my sleeping. I'm actually falling asleep earlier.

Who knew Faith was right?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Heh. My caffeine addiction is only growing worse *points finger of blame at grad school*

faithsalutes said...

Awesome DUDE. I knew you could do it. This also might help shed pounds too. I know this lady who stopped drinking soda/red bull and lost 20 pounds just from doing that.

Drinking water makes you feel bloated, but I have also noticed if I am "hungry" really my body just needs water. But I don't drink it, because I suck at following my own advice.