Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Long Walk

My commute from the Academy to the law school is a little over a mile. Normally I'd be like "hell no! Where's the public transit?" but a combination of being completely baffled by the public transportation system (which I'm sure is actually quite convenient, but all in German) and the scenic walk makes me enjoy the hike every morning. I thought I'd take you along for the ride and take pictures along the way this morning.

My walk starts down this little street, which is part of Spittelberg, one of the oldest parts of Vienna and right behind the Academy:



World's smallest garage?


At the end of this road I make a right and after about a block, the Volkstheater is on the right (it's also the location of an underground station, but I have no idea where it goes or where it comes from, so as of now it's useless to me):


The entire next block is taken up by this building, which I honestly haven't figure out the name of yet:


The next block is an absolutely gorgeous park that I haven't yet seen the inside of because finding an actually open gate is nearly impossible. Oh! These sidewalk markings are INCREDIBLY important, ignore one and you'll either be run over by a cyclist or have them angrily thumb their bell at you until you move out of their way:


Across from the park is the Austrian Parliament, which we'll be visiting on my birthday (Monday, May 31st). Here's a sneak peak of where the Austrian magic happens:


I was super tempted to hop on this thing to figure out how much I've lost walking miles around this city, but then I remembered that there's no way in hell I'd weigh myself in public:


It's overcast today, but this shade is incredibly welcome most days:


Right after the park on the right is this building:


And on the left is this building:


And adorable cafe that I really want to try out but based on the fancy business looking dudes and ladies eating there I imagine it's roughly one billion euro for a cup of coffee:


Hang a right at this fine lady:


And after two blocks there is the University of Vienna Law School building that the architect says is supposed to look like a head, but really looks nothing like one (it's the glass one left on the end of the block):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great tour of your walk through Vienna. You took some great pics! Hope you're getting settled in and more familiar with your neighborhood. Keep the photos and text coming, I'm loving being able to hear about your adventures! Love, Janet XO