Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Start of It

Let me give you a travel tip right off the bat: READ THE AIRLINE WEBSITE BAGGAGE SECTION VERY CAREFULLY. I had read it, I thought I had read it carefully, HOWEVER, I missed something pretty important. Turned out that I could NOT stuff my giant suitcase with as much crap as would fit and just be able to pay the overages. They have a "heavy suitcase" cutoff limit ... which I was over by 20 lbs. Yea, the normal heavy overages is an extra 20 lbs, I was 20 lbs over that.

So, at LAX I had to buy a second bag, and shove 40 pounds of stuff into it and they pay for an extra bag, which is exactly the opposite of what I had wanted to do. Now I get to lug around two suitcases. So, if you learn anything from me, learn to read airline websites carefully.

The flight over was uneventful. I got the bulkhead with extra leg room, but I was still uncomfortable sitting for 10 hours. I don't think anyone is. I seriously considered sneaking into the business class seats that lay down that were right on the other side of the divider. I still think it's rude that they separate the "peons" from the richy-rich's with a giant curtain. Then again, if I was a richy-rich, I would probably appreciate keeping the riff raff away.

So, I got into Vienna just fine, grabbed a train from the airport to the city center, then a cab to where we're staying at the Austrian National Defense Academy. The academy is located at Stiftgasse 2. Well, the cab dropped me off at Stiftgasse 2, which was 2 massive locked wooden doors. Half a block down is Stiftgasse 7. That couldn't be it, so I walked back the other way and around the corner ... with no luck. And back to Stiftgasse 2 and then 7 and then 2a. Jackpot! Massive driveway doors with a little side door.

Here it is:


Grand, ain't it? It's pretty gorgeous.

The view from my room is equally beautiful and quaint.

My first meal in Vienna was less than exciting - Chicken nuggets at McDonald's. I apparently arrived over a holiday weekend (which, I have been told, is like Easter and Christmas combined) and EVERYTHING that wasn't a chain was shut down. So, McDonald's for dinner and Starbucks for breakfast the next morning.

Yea, McDonald's in Vienna. I should be shot for the sacrilege, but check out how freaking fancy this McD's is!



And this just made me giggle:

No comments: