Friday, March 28, 2008

Fresh Girl of Orange County



So I've been thinking a lot about fresh, unprocessed foods and the reality of my being wholly unable to cook more than chicken, rice and veggies without an elaborate recipe and how my dinner usually consists of take out or said Foreman grilled chicken, rice from a box and green beans out of a can.

No more, my friends!

Starting April 1 (but not as a joke) I'm going to try a month of unprocessed food. Meaning no fast food, no box rice (even that delicious Zatarain's Red Beans & Rice), no prepared pasta (I'm totally going to try and make some of my own) - basically I'm going to shop solely in the outside edges of the store - fresh fruit and veggies, dairy, cheese and meat.

The only cheat I'm giving myself is condiments and bread, because it's simply not realistic for me to make my own BBQ sauce or bread. That's just not happening. Oh, and beer. I'd give it up for the month, but there's going to be a big party about 5 days into it that I'm not going to sit out on.

Since I'm generally a pretty big procrastinator it'll be interesting to see if I can manage to make it the entire month, but gosh dangit I'm going to try (and though I'm pretty positive my roommate will mock me for starting this, she'll mock me even more if I quit.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I won't mock you for doing this. I will mock you for quitting. So saddle up!

Stephanie said...

Dude. I can give you a recipe for BBQ sauce that will rock your socks, and you will never buy it again.

But yes, hats off to the clean eating. I really ought to do this, considering swimsuit season is fast approaching.