Monday, March 24, 2008

Girl Crush

Girl Crush is defined by Urban Dictionary as:

feelings of admiration and adoration which a girl has for another girl, without wanting to shag said girl. a nonsexual attraction, usually based on veneration at some level.


Girl Crush is defined by me as:

Man, I would love to be friends with her.


I've had various girl crushes on celebrities - Natalie Portman, Mandy Moore - but this weekend I totally developed a girl crush on a real live person I actually kind of know.

I was at my parent's friend's house for Easter brunch, hanging out at the counter in the kitchen eating some delicious eggs benedict, sipping mimosas, stealing way too much of the cheese from the platter directly in front of me, and chatting with some friends when the girl who was soon to become my girl crush sat down wearing the cutest belted navy shirt dress ever.

We were chatting in the group when it came out that she does acting/directing/producing of mostly indie comedy stuff. We started talking about random TV shows we love (Arrested Development), the success of YouTube and its role in the increasing democratization of entertainment media and its parallel for music in MySpace, how the expanding ability to produce quality entertainment on a small budget has allowed comedy to be more organic, less forced, and therefore funnier (okay, by now it was pretty much just me and her talking), how flippin' adorable Jeremy Piven's niece was in The Landlord, and how cool my musical montage idea is (no, for real, she loved it).

By the end of the conversation I felt like I had known her for years - when something funny was said by a third party we glanced at each other to share the humor - and maybe it was because she claimed to really dig my idea and I'm self-centered enough to think a person is awesome because they think I'm awesome, it's more likely that she was just all around a very cool person. Unfortunately, despite how much I would love to be friends with her, I am absolutely awful at broaching the subject of exchanging info to hang out in the future. I blame it on the California mentality of saying "let's hang out soon!" with no intention of ever following up.

I think I'm going to talk my mom into getting her email from our family friend for me...

No comments: