Sunday, March 2, 2008

I'm An Idea (Wo)Man

I get all my best ideas when I'm lying in bed trying to sleep. There are no exceptions to this rule. I am rarely very clever in daylight hours or while standing or sitting. It just doesn't happen. There's something about laying down in a dark room at the end of a long day that brings them forth.

Of course, as I've previously covered, I also suffer from insomnia. It doesn't help that my best ideas often come when I'm struggling to get to sleep. In my attempts to just. get. some.zzzzzzzz, I'll often refuse to turn on a light and write down what I was thinking, which, of course, results in many, many lost great ideas.

But here's one I didn't lose - it's going to be so awesome:

A romantic movie short made entirely of musical montages in four acts:

1. Meet and Fall In Love
2. Break Up
3. Lonely Walk Through The Park
4. Happily Ever After

I know, I know, but I never said it wasn't going to be cheesy or cliche - it's a movie made entirely of musical montages for fuck's sake.

Each montage is going to be set to a different song off of this album:

Band of Horses - Cease to Begin

It's the perfect album for this project, it's wrought with the entire spectrum of emotion. Dare I say it could be the entire soundtrack to a full length movie ... yes, I do dare.

I really only have two of the sequences mapped out in my head: The Breakup and Lonely Walk Through the Park. Both are pretty intricate single camera moves. The Breakup involves a second story apartment on Manhattan's Upper East Side and the camera moves a full 360 rotation around the building, breaking the outside wall. Seriously, this lame ass description does this no justice. It looks AWESOME in my head. As usual, the trick is getting it out of there. After describing it to a camera guy friend, he said it would involve a sound stage painted with tons of green screen, computer mapped out camera movement so the outside of the building could be painted in, and quite a bit of CGI, which altogether will run me about $75k.

Lonely Walk Through the Park is also a complicated single camera move, but he figures it could be done for a cool $10k if we waited for weather instead of making our own (oh yes, there are season changes! Living on the west coast where there are none has made me obsessed).

Sooo ... it's looking like the whole she-bang is going to cost at least a crisp $100k. Who wants to be my backer?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It really is a good idea, and I'd work cheap of course ;-)