Saturday, December 29, 2007

It's All Just Noise Anyway

I started this post in my head with the thought that I had spoken just 6 words since I left the house this morning at 10:30 AM. I thought it was interesting that I could go about my day and have interactions with people without really saying anything.

And then, after reflecting on my day, I realized that I spoke 52 words today, which isn't a very interesting number. 52 words can contain quite a bit. 52 words can say everything - or, in my case today, absolutely nothing.

I'm no longer impressed with myself, but I realized that I attempt to impress myself. Such an odd thing to do, really - attempt to beat your own expectations of yourself. But if you are your own worst critic, which I am, then to impress yourself means that surely you can impress other people.

So, really, me thinking I had spoken only 6 words today was an attempt to impress myself with an observation that ultimately fell flat, in an attempt to impress you. Instead, I spoke 52 words and impressed no one. I typed 192 words to tell you I spoke 52 (206 including this sentence).

But I did see Juno, so I have that going for me.

No comments: